Curriculum for The CourseSubjects comprising the course of study and practice.
The following is the complete curriculum for The Course. First and foremost participants learn to meditate by practicing mindfulness and awareness meditation techniques. The curriculum for the day is as follows:
- Understand mindfulness awareness as a method for systematically taming the mind.
- Determine that mindfulness and awareness are intrinsic aspects of the mind.
- Learn three aspects of mindfulness; familiarity, remembering, and non-distraction.
- Understand the stages of mindfulness awareness meditation.
- Learn the changing experience of calm abiding through practice.
- Become familiar with the resulting qualities of stability, strength, and clarity.
- Know mindfulness awareness meditation practice through posture, gaze and breath awareness.
- Learn specific techniques to activate mindfulness, in walking, standing, sitting, and lying postures.
Welcome & Introduction
- Get to know each other and recognize interdependence in a group setting.
- Articulate individual motivations for learning mindfulness practice.
- Identify the need for mindfulness practice.
- Articulate “the problem” as expressed in school, work, and relationships.
- Understand the consequences of an agitated mind.
The History of Mindfulness
- Establish a history of mindfulness in relation to modern practices.
- Acknowledge work of modern day pioneers ie. Michael Carroll, Jon Kabat-Zinn, and Matthieu Ricard
Current Research in Applied Mindfulness
- View recent studies of Applied Mindfulness in domains of education and business.
- Outline benefits of mindfulness practice by noting recent studies and projects.
- Learn the purpose and practice of ACAM yoga as a physical support for mindfulness practices.
- Understand the actual causation for happiness.
- Identify contemporary neuroscientific studies through supporting material (ie. Matthieu Ricard, Harvard study)
- Identify the distinction between knowable subjective experiences and measurable objective phenomena as it relates to mindfulness awareness.
- Learn and practice mind notation techniques to work with thoughts and feelings in order to develop mindfulness.
- Learn tools for ongoing personal practice.
- Understand the use value of choosing gratitude for influencing personal experience and bringing mindfulness into everyday life.
- Recognize the relevance and usefulness of compassion and empathy as pillars supporting the foundation of all mindfulness practices.
- Understand the role of service in society as an expression of Applied Mindfulness.
- Review existing technology support for mindfulness practice.
Sign up for The Course or further information
Countdown to The Course